It was 2007 when Zach Johnson came out of nowhere to win the Masters, winning at 1 over par but beating Tiger Woods, Retief Goosen and Justin Rose that year.
After donning the green jacket, sportswriter Rick Reilly — of Sports Illustrated fame but with ESPN at the time — said on ‘The Dan Patrick Show’ that Johnson had a good chance of serving as a server at Olive Garden. in 10 years.
But Johnson continued to win, claiming another victory in 2007 and had six PGA Tour titles to his name by mid-2010.
At the time, Reilly was on a radio show in Johnson’s home state of Iowa, and he admitted his misjudgment about Johnson’s talent.
“Of course, that turned out to be the dumbest commentary in golf commentary history. Good for Zach; he shut me up,” Riley said at the time.
Johnson has won 12 in all, including the Open Championship in 2015. He will also captain the USA Ryder Cup team in 2023.
But Johnson has remained silent over the years, until now.
In 2007, Iowa @ZachJohnsonPGA stunned golf by winning the Masters. I said, “In 5 years, Zach has a chance to be your waiter at Olive Garden.” Uh, I was VERY wrong. Monday night, I was back in Iowa. A gift from her was waiting for me, a $30 gift card to fill my big mouth. pic.twitter.com/Y5ZCaDTUfu
—Rick Reilly (@ReillyRick) June 15, 2022
Reilly was in Iowa again this week for a book signing event, and waiting for him was a present from Johnson: a $30 gift card to the OG.
Hopefully there will be enough left for the tip – a tip that will go to someone other than Johnson.
- USGA Hedging bets on allowing LIV golfers to future US Open – June 17, 2022
- PAYBACK: Zach Johnson forces the writer to eat his words – June 17, 2022
- McIlroy overcomes bunker frustration to share US Open lead – June 16, 2022
- US Open, Red Sox, NBA Finals: How to organize the ultimate sports day in Boston on Thursday – June 14, 2022
- Cash for loyalty: DeChambeau and Thomas detail Golf’s LIV against PGA Tour division ahead of US Open – June 14, 2022
- PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan questions the viability of the LIV Tour and its ‘exhibition matches’ – June 13, 2022
- ‘It makes me want to vomit’: Brandel Chamblee blasts PGA Tour defectors – June 10, 2022
- Scheffler applauds PGA defectors at LIV, McIlroy laments split – June 9, 2022
- Why did Dustin Johnson and other LIV golfers quit the PGA Tour, when Mickelson didn’t? – June 8, 2022
- Riley and Hughes are among the qualifiers for the US Open final; Fowler and Wolff are out – June 7, 2022
Show all posts