PCGamesN – it’s us! – is looking for a freelance news writer to find and cover the biggest and best PC gaming news during the UK evening hours. It’s a full-time job that pays £25,000 a year via regular monthly commissions and would suit someone who already has some experience writing short stories.
You will work alongside another experienced writer to cover industry events during the evening shift, which is 4pm to midnight UK time. The timing would be ideal for someone based on the West Coast of America, although we’re talking about global applications as long as you can work the hours. The expectation is five stories per shift, unless otherwise agreed with the editor.
So what are we looking for in our future evening news editor? With a knack for writing, you’ll be able to find the story in everything from a press release to a live stream to a Reddit comment thread. You’ll understand and be able to write engaging articles about the latest triple-A games, long-time favorites, niche PC gems, business connections, and all the weird and wonderful things gaming communities do. . You will also know where to find these stories and be able to write them in a timely, authoritative and accurate manner.
Even though you will be working outside of our normal office hours, you will be part of the team and make a vital contribution to the success of the site. As such, you will participate in our virtual office through Slack, reporting to the Editor-in-Chief and Editor-in-Chief. You will receive regular feedback to help you improve and lots of support to upgrade.
All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply, although we are especially eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other underrepresented backgrounds.
Role: Evening Reporter, PCGamesN
Location: Wherever your PC is
Rate: £25,000 per year
Registration deadline: May 6, 2022, although we reserve the right to close this position early if enough applications have been received
- Write daily news about PC games new and old
- Identify opportunities for additional coverage or alternate angles on trending stories
- Keep abreast of industry trends and talking points
- Spot, pursue and research opportunities for original news investigations
- Solicit feedback from developers, publishers, and PR
- Occasional coverage and participation in events
- You will occasionally have the opportunity to write outside of news, including reviews and other features
- CMS work, transcription and other small jobs as requested by the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editor or Editor-in-Chief
Skills and experience required:
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly and work across a range of disciplines, with an emphasis on current affairs
- The ability to find the most interesting angle on any news story and turn it into a gripping headline
- The ability to find relevant and timely news as it appears on the internet (and beyond)
- The ability to write at least five short stories per shift, unless otherwise agreed
- A keen interest in PC video games and a good knowledge of them
- Mastery of Google Suite
- Proactivity, attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
Desired skills and experience:
- Previous experience writing regular news or features, preferably online
- CMS experience (ideally with WordPress)
- Previous work in major magazines or websites, especially covering current events
To apply, please send a cover letter with details of your experience and why you would make a great addition to the PCGN team, along with at least one topical example, to [email protected]using the subject line: ‘Evening News Writer’s Application. We look forward to hearing from you!