Role type: 2x full time; 2 year CDD
Department/School: Research, innovation and commercialization
Salary: Two opportunities available (nomination based on skills and experience):
- Senior Tender Writer – UOM 8 – $105,684 – $114,389 per year plus 17% super
- Lead Senior Submissions Writer – UOM 9 – $126,004 – $131,097 per year plus 17% super
- Work with diverse stakeholder groups – researchers, professional staff and industry partners
- Be at the forefront of upcoming funding opportunities and new proposals
- Strategic Thinking – Consulting – Problem Solving – Collaboration
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s No. 1 university and is consistently ranked among the top universities in the world. We are proud of our staff, our commitment to excellence in research and teaching, and our global engagement.
About Research, Innovation and Commercialization (RIC)
The RIC is a team of specialists dedicated to carrying out the University’s research and innovation mission in close collaboration with our academic and professional colleagues, our industrial partners, our funding and governmental agencies. We are passionate about seeing our researchers and their collaborative partners succeed, achieve research excellence, and translate their discoveries into innovation and real-world impact.
About the role
As a Senior Major Offer Writer (UOM9)/Senior Offer Writer (UOM8), you will be responsible for developing high-quality proposals for major funding opportunities at the University. Partnering with leading researchers, industry partners, government and academic professional staff, you will facilitate discussions to co-design a value proposition, provide strategic advice and leverage revenue gains. efficiency to ensure that the University secures high-value opportunities to fund cutting-edge research programs. You will use your excellent consulting and writing skills to create well-structured strategic proposals, navigating a complex and rapidly changing environment.
You will play a key role in supporting the development of multi-million dollar, multi-disciplinary offerings associated with our pipeline of major collaborative programs – ultimately contributing to world-leading research.
In a typical week at work, you can:
- Develop and coordinate major funding proposals, including enabling the conceptualization of the main offer and the deployment of a customized offer framework, provide strategic advice to the designated application team, research and write offers, research and synthesize content contributed in partnership with research managers; facilitate final review and editing to professional submission standards
- Assist in coordinating overall project support for major opportunities, including leading stakeholder management, defining project scope, planning, set-up and management
- Provide guidance and/or support to secure major funding opportunities aligned with partnerships, centers of excellence and impact-oriented research initiatives
The Lead Major Offers Writer (UOM9) will oversee and lead particularly complex and high-value collaborative proposals and operate with a higher degree of independence.
For more information on both opportunities, please find the respective job descriptions attached.
An exceptional writer, editor and communicator, you have an outstanding track record in securing substantial funding for major proposals and coordinating complex deals. Your strong understanding and interest in the research context enhances your ability to identify alignment between research and relevant industry developments and opportunities. While you will be confident working independently, you will be a team player who enjoys working collaboratively and understands how to leverage the strengths of each contributor.
Ideally, you will also have:
- Graduate degrees in a relevant discipline and/or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Track record of obtaining or supporting substantial funding requests for major proposals, of which you were a lead author
- Experience preparing detailed, high-quality applications for grant programs and/or proposals for non-grant funding sources, such as government tenders or business proposals
- Strong editorial skills and the ability to engage responsively and effectively with stakeholders to provide constructive and actionable strategic advice, reviews and editorial feedback
- Business knowledge, with skills and substantial experience in Advanced MS Word (large document production) and MS Excel (applied for budgeting and costing)
Benefits of working with us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and meet challenges, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our employees enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible work arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leaves
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary package and leave loading
- Free and subsidized health and wellness services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services, including Myki and Qantas Club cards
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
Learn more at https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those who identify as LGBTQIA+, women, people of all ages, with disabilities or from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our goal is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you think this position is right for you, please apply with your resume and a cover letter outlining your interests and experience. When submitting your application, you will also be asked to indicate which opportunity you would like to be considered for (UOM8/UOM9/both).
Please note that you are not required to provide answers against the selection criteria in the job description.
Please note that if your application is shortlisted, the next step in the process will be to complete a case study (using a video interview tool).
If you require reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at [email protected]
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritizing applicants with valid work rights in Australia and applicants who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Job Description UOM8: PD – Major Bid Writer 0055857.pdf
Job Description UOM9: PD – Senior Major Bid Writer 0055865 pdf
Closing of applications: May 17, 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time